No BACKLIGHT for

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Apr 28 05:12:11 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 01:27:14PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:

> The backlight is in /sys, everybody with the proper privileges can use
> this text-based interface.

Ok, so, it looks like there is already an interface to the low level
(I guess kernel) stuff through /sys, but the point is that it is owned
by root, and you want to have another point of access, and want it
to be through X and through the randr stuff, such that X -- having
root privileges -- will do the apropriate change to /sys.

If I correctly guess, the xrandr command would be available for
everybody to change the backlight, and more elaborate tools could be
provided by the different desktops or specialized applications.
This would indeed cover most use cases.

My personnal opinion is that having a minimal daemon/command association
doing the same would be helpful for unusual settings too, but should be
maintained by interested people (interested in console/framebuffer/no
randr support environments).

--
Pat