Special device information properties

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 28 23:27:59 PST 2010

Hello Jannis,

Jannis Pohlmann [2010-01-27 10:29 +0100]:
> The thing is: we'd like Xfce to remain portable. We're working together
> with BSD folks and for them HAL was quite a pain already. Now that we
> have DeviceKit-disks (or rather udisks) it looks like they'll run into
> the same incompatibility issues once again.

I don't they plan to stick with hal forever. Joe Marcus Clarke already
provided a FreeBSD backend in upower (aka DeviceKit-power), and I
expect that sooner or later udisks will get a BSD backend as well.

> So, I'd be happy to avoid a direct dependency on udisks for now, which
> seems fairly realistic in the case of thunar-volman. udev seems enough
> to distinguish device types and GIO seems enough to map udev partitions
> to GIO volumes in order to mount them. So udisks would be used
> indirectly only in the file manager itself (via GIO, GVfs,
> gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor and gnome-disk-utility).
>
> But is udev compatible with BSD at all?

u{disks,power} are on a higher architecture level than udev, and thus
are more abstract and easier to implement on a different OS. So using
those APIs has a higher chance of portability than using udev.

Martin