[Feature request] PowerManagement and idle detection and powersaving

Tobias Arrskog topfs2 at xboxmediacenter.com
Tue May 11 05:53:40 PDT 2010

Hi!

When dealing with PowerManagement in XBMC I've noticed that on linux side
there really doesn't seem to be a general daemon or manager that can handle
if the system is idle or not, this leaves every session to handle it
themself.
Since XBMC is meant to work equally good on both with and without a system
we need to handle it ourself but want to let the session if existant to
handle it for that native feeling, this means checking all available
daemons, which is abit cumbersome.

So my question being wouldn't it be nice if UPower could be used to handle
this? Basically any application could send SetActive or SetInActive or
SetIdle, SetActive.. More or less the QoS extended I guess?. This would
allow daemons to have a generic place to
set active if needed, say samba daemon could set active easily if another
user downloads data, or tvheadend (pvr recorder) to set active if needed. I
guess the PowerManager could handle idle actions aswell (like powerdown) or
just signal them and let anything else handle it.

If UPower doesn't want to handle the actual actions on idle (shutdown,
suspend etc.) could use the network manager way and letting a session tool
connect and be used. Not sure which you guys find the best?

Personally I would have appreciated such a tool as it would make it much
easier for us to integrate with systems underneath and would make home
servers like NAS able to nicely know when they safely could power save
without knowing if and what session is used.

Is this something planned or an idea that more than I would like to have?

Cheers,
Tobias