[Feature request] PowerManagement and idle detection and powersaving

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue May 11 08:03:51 PDT 2010

On 11 May 2010 15:56, Tobias Arrskog <topfs2 at xboxmediacenter.com> wrote:
> For 1) I'd say define "idle" as being the abscent of "active". So "ping"
> every X seconds when the system is active.

That sounds like a _lot_ of extra traffic on the bus.

> I do agree though that it would be possible to get false idle but I would
> say that it would be far simpler in the end if samba could ping that its
> active since as it is now the computer would shutdown if set so in gnome and
> I don't move my mouse even if a friend streams from my samba share.

If I suspend on user-idle then samba is no longer able to process
requests from my friend. I think the inhibit API's we have in the
session right now cope well from a complexity / bus traffic point of
view and it's highly likely you want to hook into that for XBMC.

Richard.