CPU temperature sensors

Tomasz Melcer liori at o2.pl
Mon Nov 1 06:25:05 PDT 2010

On 2010-11-01, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 October 2010 21:06,  <liori at o2.pl> wrote:
>> Does DeviceKit send messages about thermal sensors handled by ACPI... or
>> by anything else?
>
> I don't think anything currently watches for over termperature in
> userspace. Why do you want to show the user the temperature alert?

My notebook tends to overheat. CPU throttling works, so it is not very
bad. While I am actively using it, I get constant feedback in form of
warm palm rests. I'd like to get notifications if I am away from
keyboard.

Is DeviceKit the proper place to add this functionality, or maybe there
is another piece of software that should get it? I am willing to write
code for this. I'd like to have either a constant stream of DBus
notifications, or a notification of going over/under given temperature.

> Some systems are badly configured and the reported temperatures are
> very wrong.

My system reports are correct. Other ones have bugs to fix.

Tomasz Melcer