Info for moving on from HAL

kde at randomguy3.me.uk kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Tue Nov 16 09:37:16 PST 2010

There seems to be a lack of information in a central place about what to
use in place of HAL.

Obviously UPower, udisks and udev are part of this, but they only cover
part of the functionality of HAL, which provided other information and
services in a consistent way.

I've been improving the pages on the FDO wiki to correct this situation,
and I've commandeered http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DeviceKit to
bring together information on how to do various things that used to be done
with HAL.

I've done what I can, so this is a plea for those in the know to check what
I've written and add anything I've missed.

Thanks

Alex