UDisks -> media-player-info

Benjamin K. Stuhl benjamin.stuhl at colorado.edu
Mon Nov 22 08:55:08 PST 2010

On 11/21/2010 4:49 PM, Alex Merry wrote:
> My question is: is there a better way?  UDisks is ostensibly portable to non-
> Linux systems.  As is media-player-info.  But UDev isn't.  So applications
> have to take two bits of platform-agnostic data and link them together with
> platform-specific glue.  This doesn't seem very nice.

One way, though kind of backwards, would be to enumerate the devices
using UDisks, and then use the DeviceFile property of each Udisks.Device
to go back to libudev and look for additional properties. It would be
really nice if UDisks (and UPower, etc.) added a guaranteed udev
property with a unique identifier so that someone walking the udev tree
would (a) know that "this device is managed by X" and (b) be able to ask
X for the U*.Device corresponding to that udev device.

-- BKS
-----
Benjamin K. Stuhl
Ye Lab / JILA / University of Colorado Boulder and NIST
stuhl at jila.colorado.edu / (303) 735-3621