UDisks -> media-player-info

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Mon Nov 22 12:23:40 PST 2010

On Monday 22 November 2010 12:55:41 Alex Launi wrote:
> My understanding when I was looking into this, was that you shouldn't be
> using udisks at all. I don't remember who told me, or why, but I was told
> that strictly using libudev was the correct way.

But if I want to make use of the information that media-player-info provides,
I need to mount the filesystem(s) provided by it.  And to do that I need to use
UDisks.  So I'm not going to be able to avoid using UDisks at some point.

For those that are interested in the background to this query:

This question has arisen from implementing media player support in Solid,
KDE's hardware library.  Solid has multiple backends, each of which can
provide devices.  So there's a UDisks backend providing storage devices and a
UPower backend providing batteries and so forth.  These can obviously be used
anywhere that UDisks or UPower are ported to.

There's also a UDev backend, providing miscellaneous things like CPUs.  It's
pretty straightforward to add media player support here, but then there is no
easy way to link the media player device from UDev to the storage devices
attached to it provided by the UDisks backend.

Clearly, we can put some UDev glue in the UDisks backend (#ifdef'd out for
non-Linux platforms, obviously), but I was wondering if there was a way to
avoid this.

Alex