Dbus timeout issue

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 03:21:07 PDT 2011

Hello people,

I am the KDE plasma device notifier mantainer and I would like to find a solution for
a long-standing issue that has been bugging us for quite some time now.

The problem

Upon a user request to unmount a device, we call
FileSystemUnmount, and we wait for the reply to make sure the unmount
request has succeded or failed. The problem is: if the
device needs to flush a large amount of data and the flushing time is longer
than the dbus timeout, the call returns and then there is no way to know
what happened to the device (apart from regularly polling, which is something we would like to avoid)

A solution:

After some discussion with Thiago (of {Qt,}DBus fame) he suggested that in the udisks api
the call + reply should be substituted (or better, integrated) with a call + emit signal, since there should never be
a call + reply if it is known that the call might take more than 1 second.

I am willing to implement this idea myself but of course I would like to know first your
objections, suggestions or any comments on this issue.

Thanks and best regards
 Jacopo De Simoi

P.S. If needed I am also on irc in channel #udev with nick wilder