laptop brightness panel

Zygmunt Krynicki zygmunt.krynicki at linaro.org
Mon Jan 3 13:52:01 PST 2011

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Richard Hughes wrote:

> On 1 January 2011 10:19, Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org> wrote:
>> I see now that there is a support for keyboard backlights in upower,
>> somethings few people cares about, is there is any plan to implement laptop
>> brightness panel interface in upower so lot of people that losts their
>> control after completely removing HAL can have this nice feature!
>
> No, In an ideal world all display drivers would just implement the
> xbacklight extension in XOrg, and gnome-power-manager can use that. In
> the meantime, g-p-m ships a PolicyKit helper that pokes values in
> /sys/class/backlight/* if X does not have any working backlight
> devices.

Hi (this is my first post to this list).

I don't agree that using X is the best method. There are several reasons
that IMHO are valid for having such feature in upower:

* No X server at all (cosole users should be able to control brightness)
* Legacy X without true hardware control (wayland)
* Non-X display subsystem (android?)
* API consistency

IMHO this makes sense from consistency point of view. Having all power
management control and APIs inside upower would simplify all other
applications.

Best regards
Zygmunt Krynicki