udisks and eSATA: a question about the meaning of "detachable"

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 12:27:19 PDT 2011

On 7/12/2011 11:47 AM, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Btw, this is how Nautilus and the GTK+ file chooser already work: if
> you click the volume icon and the device is not mounted, then we mount
> it (normally takes<  0.1s) and then you get to see its contents. The
> only difference, really, is a) that you don't see an eject icon next
> to the volume; and b) we don't look for directories like /DCIM and
> prompt "woot, would you like to import cat photos". So I'd argue that
> GNOME is already doing the right thing here.

That's exactly the kind of thing a desktop distribution wants to avoid.
  Users expect to see "woot, would you like to import cat photos" when
they plug in that flash drive.  I guess a desktop distribution probably
doesn't care much about the rather contrived case of a workstation
attached to a SAS SAN and not wanting to auto mount every new disk that
shows up, so it probably is fine to auto mount any unknown fs that shows
up after the user is logged in.

My point is that you don't really want to do it based on the bus or
interface being used, or try to guess at a concept of whether it is
"system internal" or not.