[udisks] Extended Partitions

Georg Grabler ggrabler at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 03:39:00 PDT 2011

Dear UDisks Developers / Community.

To introduce me and us, I'm on the Chakra-Project team, mainly working on
the system installer Tribe. We are about to rewrite our whole partitioning
to UDisks (using the DBus interface), and are currently in the stage after
the dbus function implementation starting writing the user interface.

We're doing pretty well with that, but we're stuck with a problem now:
Extended partitions.

The most serious problem we encounter is that after an EPT, the "next"
partition after the EPT usually has an offset which is the end of the
extended partition size to the next sector - as I understand the
specification. Having this in UDisks, we currently show "unallocated" space,
since there is an offset, and everything we don't know is "unallocated" to
us. Is there any way to check wether this unallocated space is "usable" or
"unusable" as in this case?

The other thing isn't really critical as I see it, it's about the
PartitionType. We can check the value for 0x05 of 0x0F in the PartitionType
property to know if it's an EPT, though, I think there should be an easier
way than that to know if something is an "extended" partition or not (maybe
IdUsage, if it returns PartitionTable for EPT, just realized I didn't check
that before).

Kind regards,
Georg