DevicePresentationHide udisks::device property

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 11:31:29 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Ayan George <ayan.george at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 06/22/2012 09:52 AM, Lisa Vitolo wrote:
>>
>> I'm writing a partitioning library based on udisks and I have a
>> doubt: what's the actual meaning of the DevicePresentationHide
>> property for devices? The documentation says such a device should
>> be ignored by applications, but for what reasons the application
>> should wish to hide it from the user?
>
> The device shouldn't be 'ignored by users' but it is a hint or
> suggestion that the device not be displayed by user interfaces:
>
> http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/DeviceKit-disks/Device.html#Device:device-presentation-hide

This is for udisks 1.x, you should use udisks 2.x instead, see

 http://udisks.freedesktop.org/docs/latest/

for the latest docs. In udisks2 the D-Bus property is called

http://udisks.freedesktop.org/docs/latest/gdbus-org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Block.html#gdbus-property-org-freedesktop-UDisks2-Block.HintIgnore

and it can be tweaked by the UDISKS_IGNORE udev property.

> I think the intent is to prevent filesystems that are mounted at
> boot-time like root from showing up in desktop user interfaces and you
> can probably be ignored if necessary.

Not so much that [1], it's more to ensure that e.g. firmware
partitions (such as the EFI partition on UEFI systems or WD_SmartWare
or HP_RECOVERY_PARTITION) are not shown in the desktop shell. For the
whole list see

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/udisks/tree/data/80-udisks2.rules?id=1.98.0#n69

The intent is that only the desktop shell will use HintIgnore... disk
utility applications (such as GNOME Disks) will not pay any attention
to HintIgnore.

Hope this clarifies.

    David

[1] : the desktop shell uses other rules for deciding that mounts not
in /media, $HOME or /run/media/$USER are hidden - see

 http://git.gnome.org/browse/gvfs/tree/monitor/udisks2/what-is-shown.txt
 http://udisks.freedesktop.org/docs/latest/udisks.8.html

for more details