Udisks and/or polkit problems

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 7 07:34:52 PDT 2012

I have created my own udev rules and scripts adding the following
functionalities that were missing at the time of design atleast.

Works with read-only root.
Allows custom mount options for any filesystem type.
Automounts any usb plugged in with only udev as a dependency to mount
locations such as /media/usb[0-100] (both of these greatly reduce typing
at a terminal without switching to X11).
Cleans up disconnected devices.

I haave been very happy but one part has recently broken which was a
wrapper around umount which used sudo and fell back to just umount. I
did that because I noticed nautilus provided access to the unmount
command via the mount point rather than device display, that has now
dissapeared and I'm not sure if that's a bug or intended. Seems silly
to remove it to me. I liked having the mount point and device shown to
users.

This broke likely either due to

installed udisks2 (1.94.0-1)

or upgraded nautilus (3.2.1-1 -> 3.4.1-1).

I decided, that features gone, and after editing three files (two
ineffectual), polkit is atleast unmounting, but before I could look at
what that actually means in terms of what can be unmounted and
restricting that to certain devices like I did with sudo unmount, it's
asking for modify permissions. I can hit cancel but how dumb. What has
eject possibly got to do with modify?

Polkit seems very cryptic, surely a security technologies main
requirement is to be transparent!!! Apparently polkit is more
fine-grained than sudo, that seems false as is the idea that sudo
requries passwords.

from the udisks website.

Modify a device (create new filesystem, partitioning, change FS label
etc.)

Could someone please help me with the following.

1./ Why would udisks want modify after safely remove via nautilus or
thunar.

2./ Can I suppress the polkit modify permission denied box.

3./ Can I restrict udisks to unmounting only certain devices when udev
has mounted the device via a non priviledged hand-off script utilising
sudo.

Thanks,

Kc