udisksctl unlock parameter for keyfiles

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 07:56:09 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Is it difficult to mount an encrypted drive through dbus-send? It
>> seems that there is an awful lot of details in the parameters that
>> need to be just right.
>
> In that case it seems easier to use libudisks, possibly from
> introspection. udisks' test suite unlocks/mounts encrypted devices
> from Python:
>
>   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/udisks/tree/src/tests/integration-test#n1096

We currently only support passphrases, not keyfiles in the
Encrypted.Unlock() D-Bus method, see

http://udisks.freedesktop.org/docs/latest/gdbus-org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Encrypted.html#gdbus-method-org-freedesktop-UDisks2-Encrypted.Unlock

However, I'm OK with supporting keyfiles - the way it should work is
by introducing something like

 encrypted.keyfile_contents

of type 'ay' (binary blob) in the @options parameter. If we do this we
should also just teach udisksctl(1) about it. Down the road we could
even teach the desktop stack about it so you can pick the keyfile
dialogs like this (getting it past the GNOME designers might be harder
though)

 http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gnome-3-6-unlock-luks.png

Sebastian: please file a bug at
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=udisks with a
reference to this thread and we can take it from there - thanks!

    David