New wip/gdbus branch for UPower

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Mon Oct 14 02:22:12 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-10 at 23:34 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I've pushed a WIP branch for UPower [1] that cleans up obsoleted and
> edge features so as to make porting and cleaning up UPower easier.
>
> Removed "features":
> - Already deprecated functionality (suspend, hibernate, etc.)
> - Quality Of Service, it never really had any users, and there are
> better alternatives
> - Removed the battery recall functionality (that was 6 years ago)
> - Ported libupower-glib to GDBus, keeping API compatibility (not ABI, as
> there were removed functions).

This is all merged on master. I've created a 0.9 branch before that for
your backporting leisure.

> I don't plan on porting the UPower daemon to GDBus unless absolutely
> necessary to get the following work done:
> - Add a composite battery device (when there are multiple batteries in
> devices) (unsure whether daemon or library feature)
> - Add a primary battery device (that might be the battery in a laptop,
> or a discharging UPS) (unsure whether daemon or library feature)
> - Requesting suspend/hibernate/hybrid suspend on behalf of the session
> on critical battery

This is implemented. It depends on a new property called "WarningLevel"
on the devices and the daemon itself.

> - Restore brightness on boot (this might be done in systemd instead)

This was implemented and merged for keyboard backlight. systemd 107
already had the feature for display backlights.

> - Coalesce timeouts to reduce wakeups due to UPower
> - Some helper code to determine icons based on device type, battery
> state, etc.

There's "WarningLevel" for devices and the daemon, and I've added
"IconName" for each of the devices.

> Hopefully, this will push us towards a 1.0 release.

Cheers