Fwd: UPower 1.0 API changes

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 21:16:16 CEST 2013

Bastien's response

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>
Date: 2013/10/18
Subject: Re: UPower 1.0 API changes
To: Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2013-10-18 at 14:52 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
<snip>
> Do you know if XFCE (e.g. xfce-power-manager) and KDE (Solid,
> powerdevil) are aware of those changes?

I've publicised the fact that those changes were going to be made on
this list.

> Removing the suspend/hibernate functionality most likely means for
> them that they either have to rely on systemd or cook up their own
> solution. XFCE and KDE are much more hesitant to rely on systemd
> afaik, so I'd be interested to know what their plans are.

Pretty much every distribution uses either systemd's logind, or has an
API compatible version available, but I'm not going to make their
decisions for them. UPower master's "action" policy also relies on
logind.

Cheers

[1]: In the most awful way possible:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/upower/tree/src/linux/up-backend.c?h=0.9#n52