Wrong "time-to-empty" for multiple battery laptop

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Feb 28 01:43:48 PST 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 10:40 +0100, Joschi Brauchle wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer!
>

> On 02/28/2014 10:15 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> Thus, the "time-to-empty" flag is only available for BAT1 and clearly
> >> only displays the time to empty FOR THAT PARTICULAR battery, but not
> >> when using ALL batteries.
> >
> > The front-ends are supposed to coalesce all the batteries together.
>
> Problem: For example KDE DOES try to do this, but the "time-to-empty"
> information is missing for "fully charged" batteries! Hence, the
> frontend is not able to calculate a total battery lifetime...

It's up to KDE to use the state of all the batteries correctly to
calculate the time-to-empty. Which is a pain and why we moved all that
code into UPower itself :)
<snip>
> Ok, great! I will look at upower 0.99 and try to create a patch for KDE.

Fedora at least should already have a port of KDE for the new UPower. It
might even already be upstream, you'll have to ask them.

Cheers