udisks2 - How to get basic functionality we had in old udisks?

Guy genlist at faert.net
Mon Nov 16 06:47:01 PST 2015

As promised, I let you know about my solution to circumvent the udisks2
problems. A small and ugly program for collecting the most important
information about block devices can be found here:
    http://faert.net/jangdeblannen/udevblk.c

This solution is not free of problems neither:
- libudev is poorly documented. A small (very problem specific) tutorial
can be found on http://www.signal11.us/oss/udev/.
- Another good source for everything about block devices is the source
code of udisks itself (see file device.c). Without it, I would have been
able to put it all together.
- Something I learned from the udisks source code is that libudev by far
does not give us all the info we need. There are many things that need
to be done "manually".
- An example: Good old udisks told us the name of files associated with
loop devices. This information is queried directly from the loop device
driver, by using an ioctl call. The consequence is, that this info only
is available when running as root.
- Other data must be queried from the /sys tree.
- If ever something changes inside /sys or the loop device driver or...
then the code probably needs to be adapted :-(   This really is bad news
for any high level application. udisks was the perfect single point for
adaptations. I still am angry when think about how easily they gave up
compatibility in udisks2!

I hope this is useful for others.

Best greetings

Guy