udisks2 problem in Guymager - How to get Linux device for drives?

Guy genlist at faert.net
Wed Oct 28 14:32:44 PDT 2015

Hello List,

I sent this email to David Zeuthen initially - and recommended to post
my udisks2 problem here.

I need to adapt my program "Guymager" (Debian package of the same name)
to udisks2. After I implemented the basic DBus functionality, I found
the following problem:

- Guymager is only interested in real drives. So, I only consider
/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/... (and not
/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/...)

- Guymager needs to find out the Linux device name for each drive. That
would be /dev/sda, for example.

- Now comes my problem: How can I find out, which Linux device name
belongs to which drive? For doing so, I would have to look at the
block_devices, property "Device" in interface
org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Block.

However, the only matching criteria I see is the "Drive" property, but
there are many block_devices with that property: /dev/sda, /dev/sda1,
/dev/sda2, ...

How do I choose the right one? Guymager could maybe take the one with
the shortest name, but I'm not sure if that really is safe in each and
every situation and every Linux system. What misses in my eyes is a
property named "Device" (in the interface org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Drive)
for the drives under /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/...

What do you think?

Thank you in advance!

Guy Voncken