Re-unifying udisks and storaged

Vratislav Podzimek vpodzime at redhat.com
Fri Dec 2 14:23:19 UTC 2016

Hello again, everyone!

Let me use this opportunity of a general quiet in this thread to try to push it further a bit. I believe we have all agreed on the direction we would
like to go with the udisks2 and storaged projects. That being the reunification of the projects using the current storaged codebase. In the meantime I
ported the patches from the udisks-2.1.8 release to storaged [1] to avoid potential regressions.

[1] https://github.com/storaged-project/storaged/pull/149

There's one thing that has been left undecided, though -- the name of the unified project. Some people expressed their ideas/opinion on this some
didn't. But I feel we need to vote about this. So here it comes. Do you want the project to be:

1) udisks2, preserving the UDisks2 API and extending it in consistent manners (e.g. byte arrays instead of strings, everything synchronous,...)

2) storaged, preserving the UDisks2 API for an intermediate period moving to a new Storaged API setting new standards (strings, returning job objects
enabling both asynchronous and synchronous operations,...)

3) udisks3, same as above for storaged, just as UDisks3

Please vote by replying to this email with "+1" under one of the options. We can then easily count the votes. If you want to also describe your
reasoning, feel free to use space below this paragraph.

Thanks!

--
Vratislav Podzimek