Re-unifying udisks and storaged

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 14:16:17 UTC 2016

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 at 14:09:06 +0100, Tomáš Smetana wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 15:32:22 +0100
> Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > My instinct tells me that the hardest part of this will (as usually)
> > be the naming: udisks or storaged. Quite a lot of upstream and
> > third-party software builds/links against/calls the "udisks" API, and
> > indeed storaged ships and provides just that, which is rather
> > confusing. Even more curiously, Fedora builds a "libstoraged" package
> > which ships libudisks.so.
>
> This is a result of historical development: storaged was in the beginning
> installed in parallel with udisks2 (and provided its own API) and only in
> Fedora 25 we have decided to go back to udisks2 API to get rid of the code
> duplication and make the maintenance easier. However since storaged was not
> udisks, we didn't want to use the same package or even project name.

If the maintainers of udisks2 are happy with doing so, I would advocate
using the udisks[2] name, particularly if storaged provides the udisks2
API anyway. When gcc and egcs re-merged, the result was named gcc after the
parent project, even though the actual code more closely resembled the
egcs fork.