Re-unifying udisks and storaged

Vratislav Podzimek vpodzime at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 06:48:09 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-11-28 at 22:22 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Tomáš Smetana [2016-11-28 14:09 +0100]:
> > One thing we miss at the moment is some good communication channel. Github
> > does not have mailing lists and since storaged is not a Freedesktop project
> > we didn't feel like discussing our stuff here. Perhaps this ML list would be
> > a good place to discuss the project's merge.
>
> "devkit-devel" is certainly an odd name in 2016, but as it happens it
> probably has the right people subscribed, so as there doesn't seem to
> be any parallelism in that regard it seems fine to (continue to) use
> this list.
>
> > The tests we actually run are these:
> > https://github.com/storaged-project/storaged/tree/master/src/tests/dbus-test
>
> These look nice, although they seem to require real block devices from
> targetcli_config.json? There's surely quite some overlap with
> src/tests/integration-test, that seems one good target for cleanup
> after the unification.
The tests are using LIO (targetcli) devices which are basically "SATA loop
devices". They are similar to scsi_debug devices, but a big difference is that
they are backed by files on disk and more importantly each of them has it's own
backing space. All scsi_debug devices share the same chunk of memory as their
backing space which makes them unusable for things like LVM or RAID. That's why
we moved to LIO devices.

--
Vratislav Podzimek