GSoC Proposal for GNOME Disks

Kai Lüke kailueke at riseup.net
Tue Mar 21 18:48:39 UTC 2017

Hello,

after going through many of the listed ideas from organizations in the
Google Summer of Code program, I came to the conclusion that I would
like to propose working on GNOME Disks.

I use it very often and it mostly does a good job. But recently I had to
use GParted again for resizing and moving partitions and realized that
it can't work in a Wayland session.
Since the storaged transition also might give the chance to work on
related features in udisks, I think working on GNOME Disks would make up
a good GSoc project.

The suggestion is to accurately list filesystems choices¹ during
creation and then support resizing and checking. As moving partitions is
not so essential and maybe out of scope for udisk, this would be at most
a stretch goal.
On the way there are other maintenance tasks and the whole project also
reachs out to udisks/libblockdev for resizing and fixing filesystems.

Do you have a small task I should accomplish before the application
deadline ends (in around 10 days)? Like e.g. adding a 'Create Disk
Image' opption to the application menu.
Or any other comments and opinions?

Is there anyone who would like to be a mentor for me?
https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreach/SummerOfCode/Mentors

And how do you develop on udisks - on your main system or in a VM with
e.g. Fedora Rawhide?

Ah, and maybe some words on myself. I'm in the computer science master
program at TU Berlin and finished my bachelor last year at FU Berlin. Up
to now I'm not a great contributor :/ but was at GUADEC in Strasbourg.

Thank you for reading!
Regards,
Kai

¹ udisk exposes the SupportedFilesystems property of UDisks2.Manager, so
it would already be an improvement to use it in Disks. But it's
hardcoded and not aware of available/missing tooling (One might also
think of separate categories like Using/Creating/Fixing/Resizing).