VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt support in GNOME Disks

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 07:25:20 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:02 PM, segfault <segfault at riseup.net> wrote:

> We do not plan to support creating new TC/VC containers, and I didn't
> even know that zulucrypt can do this (thanks for the hint!). I find the
> idea tempting, maybe I will work on that at some point.

zuluCrypt[0] uses zuluplay[1] to create and unlock TC/VC volumes and
if you are to add support for creating
TC/VC volumes then i think zuluplay will be a better dependency to have.

While here,i think it is a bad idea to try to figure out if a volume
is a TC/VC volume because there will be no point
in using these over LUKS if a volume can reliably be guessed to be
TC/VC. Best thing to do is to call blkid on the
volume and assume it is encrypted if blkid fail to find a file system
on it and the volume is not a swap partition.

Doing guess work here will just result in inconsistent behavior and a
support nightmare.

[0] https://mhogomchungu.github.io/zuluCrypt/
[1] https://github.com/mhogomchungu/zuluplay