[systemd-devel] upower fails with PrivateNetwork=true

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 12:35:18 UTC 2018

> Yes, Mantas is right, PrivateNetwork= disconnects the whole of
> AF_NETLINK from the rest of the system, which means services that
> require libudev device events can't use it.

Thank you Lennart and Mantas.
I was indeed not aware that PrivateNetwork=true has that effect wrt AF_NETLINK.
Thanks for the explanation, this makes it perfectly clear now.
It's indeed a pitfall one has to keep in mind when using PrivateNetwork=

Tbh, I find it a bit confusing that we have three mechanisms now
(PrivateNetwork, RestrictAddressFamilies, IPAddressDeny) and when one
is supposed to use which one of these.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?