Acer laptop AC detection

Justin Smith justin at u4e.us
Mon Mar 25 01:11:22 UTC 2019

As seen here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1122662/how-can-i-make-upower-and-the-power-subsystem-recognize-that-the-power-supply-is

That is not my post but, it seems, everyone with this laptop is having
the same issue.

I have an Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-61-R0GX laptop and my AC
adapter keeps showing as off-line. Because of this my whole machine
throttles down like it is running on battery. I can change the CPU
governor to "performance" which forces the CPU to normal speeds but I
cannot keep the GPU (AMDGPU Vega 56) running at an acceptable speed.

How can I help get this fixed? I don't even see ACPI events when I
unplug the power cord.

Is there information I can provide you for your next patch to allow
upower to correctly identify this AC adapter?

Is there a way to manually toggle the AC online setting?

Is there a way to make a false AC device to trick upower into thinking
the power is plugged in?

Thank you

-Justin