battery not detected when managed by PMU (apple powerbook)

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Mon Jun 29 18:19:56 UTC 2020

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 19:23:49 +0200, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Well, this is another problem I am facing. I installed debian linux and
> it has been officially supported until a two versions ago, when kernel
> 3.16 was current.

To be clear about this: neither of the currently-supported Debian releases
(versions 10 and 9) supports powerpc hardware. The newest Debian release
that contains powerpc is Debian 8, which reached end-of-life 2 years ago.
Debian 8 on x86 and 32-bit ARM had semi-official "long term support"
which is due to end about now, but this did not cover powerpc.

According to Wikipedia, the last Powerbook models were discontinued in
2006. I think enabling PMU support more widely, for the benefit of 14
year old hardware, seems likely to be an uphill struggle.

    smcv