-fixes and ff-only

Sean Paul seanpaul at chromium.org
Wed Apr 25 17:56:06 UTC 2018

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 1:36 PM Rodrigo Vivi <rodrigo.vivi at intel.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 05:00:56PM +0000, Sean Paul wrote:
> > Hey maintainers,
> > I'm noticing a trend which is unlikely to slow down, so I'd like to get
> > your input. I send my -fixes (and other) pull requests typically on
> > Wednesday afternoons (ET) to allow Dave plenty of time to pick them up
and
> > send them to Linus.
> >
> > Unfortunately this means that if anything applied to -fixes between the
> > pull being sent and me getting into work on Monday morning (after the
> > latest rc is cut) will result in a backmerge instead of a fast forward.
In
> > previous releases, volume was low enough that I won the race most weeks.
> > However, now that we have (many) more contributors, I almost always
expect
> > to lose.
> >
> > So, what do? Intel has a drm-intel-next-queued where they manually sort
and
> > apply their patches to the various trees. This allows them to wait for
the
> > next rc before piling on any more fixes. I don't expect this will work
for
> > -misc since it likely requires more time and collaboration than we have
> > give.
> >
> > We could create a drm-misc-fixes-queued branch and leave drm-misc-fixes
> > be manually curated by the maintainer handling the current release. Of
> > course, that same person would need to ensure that
drm-misc-fixes-queued is
> > maintained as well (does intel just regularly backmerge to dinq
> > regularly?). Are there any other options we're missing?

> We don't do that regularly, but only on need basis. For instance when
there was
> some define coming from drm-misc that is already on drm-next that we need
> to continue to develop on i915.

Ok, that's what we do for -misc-next.

> People maintaining the -queued and -fixes are different. Our rotation is
on
> the target version.
> For instance Jani is maintaining the drm-intel-next-queued targeting it
for 4.18
> While Joonas is maintaining drm-intel-fixes for 4.17

> On next round:
> I will take drm-intel-next-queued and drm-intel-next-fixes for 4.19
> Jani will then take the drm-intel-fixes for 4.18.

> Rotation is one version from begin to end.

Also the same for -misc. I'm doing -fixes atm, Maarten is handling -next,
and Gustavo is enjoying life until rc6 :)

> I believe this could work on drm-misc as well. Another advantage of the
manual
> cherry picking for fixes is that most of developers don't need to worry
about
> conflict fixing.

Presumably you need to coordinate which patches from -queued go into -next
vs -fixes? That's my primary concern. Since drm-misc is a little more
distributed than drm-intel, I think that might become a bottleneck. That's
why I'm partial to just doing -queued for drm-misc-fixes. -misc-next-fixes
is low enough volume that we should still win the race most weeks.

Sean