status of gcc 4.3 in your distribution?

Henne Vogelsang hvogel at opensuse.org
Wed Apr 9 02:59:30 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Tuesday, April 08, 2008 at 18:49:55, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le mardi 08 avril 2008, à 10:59 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> >
> > I was wondering about the status of gcc 4.3 in the various distros. When
> > are you going to switch to building with 4.3 by default? How will you
> > manage the direction flag issue[1]?
> >
> > [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/272048/
>
> I hope someone else from openSUSE will jump in to reply since I'm most
> probably going to say something wrong ;-)
>
> Here's what I know: I believe we've switched to gcc 4.3 in Factory.

Correct. We did that in the end of September.

> I have however no idea if some packages are still built with an older gcc
> or if some architectures are using an older gcc (the main ones are
> definitely using 4.3, though).

Everything is built with 4.3 because everything is the same on all archs
here :)

For convinience we have 4.1.X packages available for the users.

> Don't know about the flag issue, but I guess we're patching either the
> kernel or gcc to fix it.

We have a patched kernel (not yet released tough for older tress).

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, openSUSE.
	- Mike Tyson