Build script license

Panagiotis Prokopiou pprok at softlab.ntua.gr
Wed Apr 9 03:46:02 PDT 2008

Hello,

I wonder under which license are specfiles, debian/ directory contents
and things like that are released. I got curious after i noticed the
copywrite statement on top of every opensuse specfile.

I know redhat and debian have descendants that recompile from source, so
i believe their build scripts are released under an opensource license
(which and how...). Which is the case with suse, mandriva, slackware,
arch, even ubuntu? Is this topic ever discussed or build specifications
is something everyone assumes to be free? Another interested aspect is
openpkg, http://www.openpkg.org/project/license.php. Openpkg is the only
place where i have found a direct reference on this matter.

Please elaborate me :-)

--pprok