GUI user admin tool

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Thu Jul 3 07:24:30 PDT 2008

Hello again,

I'm after some suggestions.

In Ubuntu we currently use gnome-system-tools to provide some gui admin
tools. However, there are some bugs with it and it is not very active
upstream.

We are currently evaluating whether there are any alternatives that
could be switched to. The only tool that is no obvious replacement
for is the users admin tool. I'm interested in what other
distributions use for this.

Martin Pitt evaluated system-config-user. The main issue he found
was the authorisation, they use something non-standard that we
wouldn't really want to adopt. Does anyone from Fedora/RH know
if there any plans to move to PolicyKit?

Thanks,

James