Terminal Standard

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Mar 17 16:16:35 PDT 2008

Benjamin Bruheim wrote:
> We all know the problems with keytabs and terminal issues. Every piece
> of software works around it. But are there any attempts at making a
> proper standard on terminals? Every trail I've looked at has been
> dead.
>
> Most terminals provide their own $TERM, but it is about time the
> myriad of terminals decide on the Right Way.

With modern distributions, surely something that would be better
discussed is a standard for tab completion and shell colours?

I'm comfortable with the shell on my computer but whenever I SSH in to
another machine the tab completion either does not work nearly as well
or the shell colours for e.g. files/folders etc. are different.

Is this something that should be standardised across distros? Or do
people actually quite like the differences/think their implementation is
the mutt's nuts?

Personally I like the one I have with Mandriva and the bash-completion
package.

Col