Packaging guidelines related to .desktop files

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 09:21:32 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 17:16 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:

> I think I contacted Tom Callaway directly and he fixed it. Can't link to
> the change in the wiki since I can't access it right now.
>
> Sorry for not being clearer in my original mail :-)

Gotcha, I wasn't sure if it had been fixed yet or not.

One of the things I'd like to see out of RPM in the near future is
actual processing of these .desktop files to generate rpm metadata,
application (generic,specific), mime times supported, etc...  That type
of information would be very valuable in helping users find an
application rather than an obtuse upstream project name, as well as
having helper applications to find applications when a mime type file is
encountered that can't be handled.

Are other packaging tools processing .desktop files in any way?

--
Jesse Keating