[Fwd: [Python-Dev] PEP 383: Non-decodable Bytes in System Character Interfaces]

Jan Matejek jmatejek at suse.cz
Thu Apr 23 11:14:45 PDT 2009

Toshio Kuratomi napsal(a):
> Hey all,  if you have python developers in your distribution please let
> them know this PEP has been proposed for python-3.1.  We want this
> situation to get better on Unix rather than worse and I'm not sure I'm
> understanding all the ramifications of this proposal.
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-April/088919.html

So, what exactly should be the "ramifications" of this? And more
importantly, how does that relate to us distributors?

This PEP proposes modification (actually, extension of existing
functionality) of python's internal encodings. Nothing is changed for
the outside. In fact, if done properly, most python applications (and
all non-python ones) won't even need to know about it.
It has been discussed on the list to a rather great extent. So far, the
developers aren't sure if it is a good idea. And even if it did go into
python 3.1, the change is fully backwards compatible.

am i missing something?

regards
jan matejek
(python packager for SUSE)