AppStream Ideas and Thoughts

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Tue Feb 15 01:38:43 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 07:54:11PM +1100, James Rhodes wrote:

> I appear to have not written a wiki article on this, but the naming
> standards apply to AppFS packages only.  For compatibility with
> existing systems, a central package mapping service called DepResolve
> will exist that maps the dependencies listed in a package with the
> actual package that needs to be installed based on the current
> distribution.

Leaving aside the rest of the discussion, I just need to point out that
we now have such package mapping service:

  http://www.enricozini.org/2011/debian/distromatch/
  with an example deployment here: http://dde.debian.net/dde/q/distromatch/match/

The mapping is not perfect (yet) but it works. Improvements will come
with usage.

I'm still working on having regular data exports for all involved
distributions, in order to enable anyone to set up a working distromatch
on their own systems. This should be done by the end of the week.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>