Results of the App Installer Meeting

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Thu Jan 27 06:36:20 PST 2011

Le jeudi 27 janvier 2011 15:30:31, Richard Hughes a écrit :
> On 27 January 2011 13:53, Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net> wrote:
> > Another way to do it without making the xml file grow too much would be
> > to have one xml file containing only package descriptions per language.
> > It uses some space on mirrors, but not that much (especially because the
> > number of applications is really smaller than the number of packages).
>
> I thought we agreed it would be better to have all the languages in
> one file, rather than having 130 files all with a few k of text
> inside? Lots of tiny files really hurts read and write performance.
> (130*number of repos installed = thousands)

Another thing to keep in mind is that users usually use only 2 languages on
their computers : their mothertongue and english when there's nothing better
available.

So having lots of files may be a pain for repository managers, but not on
client side where only 2 files will be downloaded usually (the common xml file +
his languages descriptions), if we adopt such an approach.

Regards

Samuel