AppStream: dealing with icons

Duncan Mac-Vicar P. dmacvicar at suse.de
Sat Jan 29 06:54:23 PST 2011

On 01/27/2011 06:55 PM, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 13:57, Richard Hughes<hughsient at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> In appdata.xml we have:
>>
>>     <icon type="stock">web-browser</icon>

I like Richard's proposal.

I would separate the mechanics of appdata-icons.tar.bz2 from the xml
description a bit.

This is, the appdata-icons tarball is downloaded by the package manager
(or some hook/plugin of it) either by doing a HEAD request or because
the appdata.xml mentions somewhere that there is one icon tarball present.

Once that is downloaded and exploded, the xml could specify

<icon type="cached">repoid/22x22/name.png</icon>

I think you named this "relative"....? is this what you mean with relative?

So as I can see we support types:

url, stock (tango installed icon), cached (from the tarball), local
(full path)

Is this correct?

(note that actually cached is a particular case of local)

Duncan