[gsoc2011] PackageKit integration for Ubuntu Software Center

Alex Eftimie alex at rosedu.org
Fri Jun 3 03:36:07 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at nlinux.org> wrote:
> Do you use Ubuntu or Debian? The GI support is currently enabled for the
> PackageKit version in Debian experimental. With the new PK 0.6.14 upload,
> it will also be in unstable (pkg will be there today or tomorrow).
> You can simply install gir1.2-packagekitglib-1.0 then. (Debian packages
> work on Ubuntu too) As an alternative, you can try the daily builds of PK
> from my PPA at [1].
> You can find PKs documentation in packagekit-docs (and then in your
> Devhelp) or at [2]. Then PyG should do the rest.
> If there are any problems with the GIR itself, feel free to contact me, as
> I have a strong interest in a high-quality GIR too ;-) (I use it together
> with Vala)
> If you need changes in any PackageKit package on Debian/Ubuntu or if you
> need some quick package builds, you can also always ask me. (For example
> splitting up the GNOME-PackageKit package might be a good idea because
> parts of it could be useful for USC too, like the session dialogs)

(one month later reply)

Thank you, I have installed them in both ubuntu natty (via ppa) and
debian wheezy, I'm now at the point where I'm trying to figure out how
to use[1] them[2].

hugsie pointed me to the packagekit client source code (in C), but I
would really appreciate some highlevel (vala or Python) source code
examples :-).

Cheers,
Alex

[1] https://github.com/alexef/packagekit-python-console