wxWidgets/wxGTK packaging proposal

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Wed Mar 9 07:59:53 PST 2011

Hallo.

wxWidgets has many configuration options. Changing some of them results
a different package with different features and different library sets.
Changing others breaks ABI, but SONAME and file name of libraries
remains the same (at least --enable-stl was identified as ABI breaker).

Our openSUSE Build Service allows to build custom packages. Also third
party projects like Packman package wxWidgets. Many people rebuilt
wxWidgets with different options and/or different file name.

As a result, we got rpm conflict or strange crashes.

That is why I completely changed the way wxWidgets are packaged in
openSUSE - each variant installs libraries to a dedicated directory, and
applications use RPATH. Only miminal patch was required in wx-config,
most applications work without any source modification.

I also created "compat" packages. They contain just a ld.so.conf.d
extension - one of variant can be enabled for third party packages that
don't use RPATH.

If you are interested in compatible packaging of wxWidgets, please look
at https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=X11%3AwxWidgets

Note: rpm autoreqprov has problems with several instances of the same
library in different directories. That is why all spec files have to
contain %wx_provides macro. See README.SUSE:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=README.SUSE&package=wxWidgets&project=X11%3AwxWidgets

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +49 911 7405384547
190 00 Praha 9                                  fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                    http://www.suse.cz/