[gsoc2011] PackageKit integration for Ubuntu Software Center

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Wed May 4 13:02:08 PDT 2011

Hi!

> Since this is my first post on this list, the required introduction: I
> am a student aiming at bringing a PackageKit backend to Ubuntu
> Software Center as described by the AppStream project, under the
> openSUSE GSoC umbrella[0]. My mentor is Vincent Untz; I will also
> report closely to Michael Vogt and this mailing list.
Yeah, yeah yeah! Really cool to see this happen!

> My proposal here[1] shows my actual (basic) understanding of how
> things should work. Your opinions will be appreciated :-)
 * familiarize with PackageKit workflow, especially with the
python-packagekit bindings;
Have you considered to use PackageKit's GIR data with Python, instead of
using the original Python bindings?
AFAIK they are broken at time, and the way to go is GIR. I am developing
an application using PK GIR at time and there really are some problems with
it, but in the long run it might be a better option. (I already fixed most
of the GIR issues in PK 0.6.14)
Just my 2 cents, I'm no Python dev ;-)

> A particular issue I can start clarifying is the app-data.xml download
> policy, mentioned in a previous thread[2] by Enrico Zini. Any hints
> for me?
Note: @all on this list, please correct me if I'm telling something wrong
here, as I haven't attended the AppStream meeting...
AFAIK the app-data XML stuff is available in one package (maybe together
with the icons?) and gets downloaded via the package manager. This is
already done for the USC, at Debian we already have a package like this:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/app-install-data (but this is not working
with the XML files, it ships .desktop files at time)
Then, after the package is installed, apt-xapian-index is executed to
create a Xapian index of the XML files, which is searched in the USC.
Hope this solves your question. (Or I got you wrong...)

I'm really looking forward on your project!
Cheers,
  Matthias Klumpp

@Enrico: Lots of users complain about apt-xapian-index' extremely high CPU
and memory usage - is there anything we can do about it? (Maybe
re-implement it in a compiled language or do something else) I got over
five mails this month with users asking me why apt-xapian-index is slowing
down their computers so much, three of them had already removed the package
(and the USC) and one blogged about it, suggesting others to remove axi.

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/alexef/8001

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/distributions/2011-April/000572.html