Size of teams behind Linux distros

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:59:55 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 02:28:41PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 4/12/12 12:14 PM, Jason Hsu wrote:
> >How big are the teams that you're familiar with?
>
> Fedora is hundreds of volunteers and a few hundred paid Red Hat
> people working on it as well.

Currently, there are 1064 people in the Fedora packager group whose account
status is active.  We marked people inactive and asked that they explicitly
activate themselves about 5 months ago so the number isn't too badly
inflated with inactive members.  That said, I can still think of reasons
this number isn't 100% accurate (for instance, some people in the packager
group might only be participating in non-package maintainance ways within
the project now) :-)  So take it with a grain of salt.

Also note, although package maintainers are the core of a distro a larger
distro may have people in other, not necessarily overlapping, roles as well.
There's also people who maintain the servers and people who create the web
pages.  If there's enough interest in the distro, there's also people who
specialize in writing documentation, doing open source and distro outreach,
etc.

-Toshio