AppStream (libappstream) 0.3 released!

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Mon Jun 10 13:40:20 PDT 2013

Hi!
Today I released libappstream 0.3, a library to access the AppStream
application database.
Previous release announcements have not been posted to this list, but
this one is special.
Since the new API provides support for AppStream-compliant
screenshot-services (like http://screenshots.debian.net/ ),
it would be great if you could add the screenshot service URL for your
distribution to /etc/appstream.conf , because otherwise
the AppStream lib won't find acreenshots, obviously ;-) You can also
submit the change upstream (just write me a mail, AppStream doesn't
have a bugtracker at time), so it will be included in the next
release.
Currently, we support the following distributions out-of-the-box:
 * Debian
 * OpenSUSE
 * Ubuntu

And here are the changes (I am still the only contributor (if someone
wants to help, please do!):

Version 0.3.0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Released: 2013-06-10

Features:
 * Add command-line method to search for apps
 * Restructure code to clearly separate client and daemon
 * Make DBus API an internal implementation detail
 * Rewritten and more advanced XDG menu file parser
 * Implemented new Category handling
 * Many improvements in documentation
 * Implement API to access any AppStream-compliant screenshot service

Bugfixes:
 * Fix creation of missing database
 * Make UAI more failsafe
 * Improve error handling and command-line output
 * Greatly improve search results
 * Fix translation template

Tarballs are available at
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/releases/
The upcoming 0.4 release will get rid of the extra daemon and will be
completely tied to PackageKit, which allows some nice improvements of
the database, but will make PackageKit a hard dependency.
Have fun with the release!
    Matthias

P.S: You can find more information about AppStream on
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Distributions/AppStream/

KDE-Developer    | GNOME-Contributor