Replacing shared hosting for my Linux distro's web site

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Jul 12 08:16:28 PDT 2014

Le mercredi 09 juillet 2014 à 00:19 -0500, Jason Hsu a écrit :
> I'm working on a reboot of Swift Linux.  The new Swift Linux will be based directly on Debian instead of indirectly through antiX Linux or Linux Mint Debian Edition.  (Dependency hell was too much of an issue when purging packages.  The process of creating the new Swift Linux will involve starting with minimal Debian and adding packages.)  I will use a Debian Stable base (part of the CrunchBang Linux playbook) for ease of maintenance.
>
> I still intend to make the ISO files available through SourceForge instead of through my web site due to the enormous amount of bandwidth this takes.
>
> The biggest change I will be making is using custom Swift Linux *.deb packages to transform minimal Debian into Swift Linux.  The process of remastering Swift Linux will include installing these packages.  (Thus, I'm following another part of the CrunchBang Linux playbook.  CrunchBang Linux has its own package repository for providing the layouts, default setups, etc.)  I'll need space on my own web site to store these packages.  I will be turning to https://wiki.debian.org/SettingUpSignedAptRepositoryWithReprepro as a resource on setting everything up.
>
> MY QUESTION: What type of web site hosting do I need?  I currently have shared hosting from
> WebFaction, and I understand that it's not the way to go for hosting my own package repository.
> Should I use VPS?  Dedicated hosting?  Something else?  So far, all of my web sites are on shared hosting.

Hi,

It depend on a few variables:

- are you ready to pay for it every month, and if so, how much ?
- how big would your repo be, and how much bandwidth do you think this
would consume
- do you have any requirement regarding the location of the service ?
- do you have requirement regarding protocol used for distribution
( https, ftp, rsync, http, bittorrent )
- do you have what it take to create the repo, or should it be done on
the server hosting packages.
- how confortable are you with system administration and server
management ?

once all of this is answered, you can start to decide what you should
take.

--
Michael Scherer