[REGRESSION, i915]: Periodic stalls with 2.6.36-rc2

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 16:53:14 PDT 2010

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 01:33:15 +0200, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Chris Wilson wrote:
> > > In general, Xv performance with KMS leaves me with a feeling that
> > > something is not quite right in terms of playback, both with mplayer
> > > and vlc. But while movies are nice, this stalling issue is more
> > > important.
> >
> > That should now be fixed in -intel,
>
> Sounds good! I'd love to test. Which branch/commit is that? I just
> pulled and am using 68a5ad4.
>
> mplayer -vo gl or gl2 works but uses sw rendering and is very slow.

Master with -vo xv should be good, if it doesn't hang.

> Incidentally, apropos the backlight commit in xf86-video-intel, it
> seems like the driver always sets the backlight to 0. Whenver I start
> X, backlight goes to minimum. I can crank it up with Fn+Home, but if
> I restart X then it goes back down again.
>
> /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness is always accurate, showing 0 after X
> starts.

That wasn't meant to be pushed. :( I was working on rectifying lack of
backlight controls in on T61 and trying to reduce the number of pieces of
code trying to accomplish the same thing through different means. I
thought that work was contained on the T61...