3Dfx KMS board needed

James Simmons jsimmons at infradead.org
Wed Dec 1 15:57:38 PST 2010

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM, James Simmons <jsimmons at infradead.org> wrote:
> > Looking to work on the 3Dfx KMS driver I discovered that it is very
> > difficult to find a motherboard that supports AGP of 3.3V. So I discovered
> > that the only 3Dfx card that supports this is the 3dfx Voodoo 4 4500 AGP
> > Card which also is difficult to find. Does anyone have this card to send
> > to me or a old working system with a 3.3V AGP bus. Thanks.
>
> Sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding. If motherboards with 3.3V
> AGP are difficult to find, why are you looking for a Voodoo 4 4500?
> You must mean that the Voodoo 4 4500 is the only AGP card that also
> supports 1.5V AGP signaling?

Sorry I was on vaction and had caught up on some things at work as well as
home. Yes, I left out that detail. I found the Voodoo 4 is the only card
in that it supports AGP 4X (1.5V)

> I see a very cheap Voodoo 4 4500 on eBay in the UK. Item # 110610063423.
>
> Also, the 4500 and 5500 come in PCI.

Time to hunt them down.

> I had trouble finding a suitable board to use with Permedia hardware
> this summer. The last to support 3.3V AGP were the Athlon MP
> motherboards, e.g., Tyan S246{0,2,6,8,9}. But at least you get dual
> processors.

:-/ I had a system like that but it became to unusable with the newer
linux software stacks. Pentium III are only so fast.

> For reference, the last 3.3V supporting video cards were the R300
> series (specifically Radeon 9800 Pro, but not 9800 XT) and the GeForce
> 7950 GT. Not that any of that's specifically related to your query.

Thanks for the query. I settled for a AGP 8x board. I believe I can find
cards that work with it as well as PCI based cards.