Freescale Linux BSP review

Jammy Zhou jammy.zhou at linaro.org
Mon Dec 13 17:59:24 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:

> On Monday 13 December 2010, Jammy Zhou wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Linus Walleij <linus.walleij at linaro.org
> >wrote:
> >
> > > On 11 December 2010 22:41, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > * amd-gpu -- a single but huge driver for the GPU. As is normally the
> > >>

> > > Just out of curiosity, following the discussion between Dave Airlie
> > > and Codeaurora this summer re GPU driver shims.
> > >
> > > Is the AMD GPU exposing all functionality in its kernel driver or
> > > is there some userspace blob somewhere with lots of e.g. GL
> > > goodies?
> > >
> > All the functionality for the kernel driver of AMD GPU Z430/Z160 (now
> > belongs to Qualcom) is exposed. But we need accompanied userspace library
> > call these functionality (buffer management, command submission, ...).
>
> Who owns these components? If it's closed source, the only options we
> have are lobbying for complete release of the specs for a reimplementation
> or reverse-engineering the drivers, which may at least get easier with
> a user space driver than it would be with a kernel driver.

The user space library is closed source, and it is owned by Qualcomm.

> Until there is a solution with an open source user space part, I would
> suggest that the driver better be dropped from the Freescale BSP and
> we should at least not waste time reviewing it.

I think it is beneficial for us to integrate the kernel part into our Linaro
tree, so that we can build/use it together with the kernel image. As for the
user space libraries, how about adding them into the hwpack? (Is there any
legal issue for this?)