Freescale Linux BSP review

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Dec 20 12:14:09 PST 2010

> I also do not think that it is at all kernel policy to disallow kernel
> drivers which do not have opensource userspace components. In fact,

Wrong. The PVR graphics (as used by some Intel embedded for example) is
also not in the kernel for the same reason, ditto some sensor and GPS
devices which are useless without a magic proprietary library.

There are lots of reasons for refusing such code

- Legality questions
- Testability
- Security
- Risk of locking us to proprietary interfaces when we can't change the
  user one

and more

Alan