Radeon 3650HD laptop LVDS lid open/closed detection problem

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Mon Jun 21 05:31:19 PDT 2010

Hello,

After fixing the dvi/hdmi detection problem I now have another problem
with the HP EliteBook 8530p, which has Radeon 3650HD adapter.

Here's a summary of the environment:

	- laptop connected to a docking station.
	- external display in use, connected with DVI to the dock.
	- laptop lid closed, so internal LVDS display is not used.

Now, when I start the laptop, I can see the BIOS and grub on the external DVI display.
All fine so far. I select the Fedora 13 kernel, and Linux starts. I see the Fedora
graphical boot on the external DVI display, just like it should be. GDM login prompt
appears on the external DVI display, still everything fine.

And then it goes wrong. After I login to X, the external display only shows the background
picture.. it turns out the desktop stuff has been started to the internal LVDS display,
which shouldn't be used at all since the laptop lid is closed!!

When the laptop lid is closed, and external display is connected, I want to use only the external display..

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this one?

-- Pasi