[RFC v4]update broken web addresses in the kernel.

Finn Thain fthain at telegraphics.com.au
Mon Sep 27 18:37:57 PDT 2010

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Justin P. Mattock wrote:

> On 09/27/2010 09:03 AM, Joe Perches wrote:
> > > Changing a URL for a relocated page is one thing, but removing links
> > > isn't necessarily a great idea.  Even if the site is technically
> > > gone, it may be possible to find information e.g through the
> > > Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
> >
> > Perhaps it'd be better to scrape the contents of the various web
> > pages, collect them somewhere like wiki.kernel.org and encourage
> > others to put new contributions in that site.

The copyright problem aside, this might be a good idea for material not
already archived but I don't think it makes sense to start a new
archive when archive.org (or other) has the information.

And which version(s) do you scrape? I discussed some problems with
changing URLs in another thread: http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/22/22

Anyway, without knowing what future archive(s) would be available or
relevant to any given URL in the future, I think the best we might do is a
"Retrieved on YYYY-MM-DD" qualification for new URLs.

> yeah I think somebody was saying something about having a separate file,
> with all the web addresses in them or something...In any case, up to you
> guys..

I don't see how moving the addresses would help.
And would it not make the information harder to find?

Finn